I have never traveled out of the country for so long before. Being someone who thinks a lot, arriving late due to illness, and not knowing a whole lot about Japan I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. I arrived to ARI on day five of our course feeling overwheled, missing out on time in Tokyo, and jumping right into work not knowing what I was doing, or knowing my classmates. When I arrived though my classmates welcomed me as if we had all been friends forever and was missed. Welcoming, happy, outgoing friends makes a month away so much easier.

20160111_072824

The first few days at ARI were long, draining, but enjoyable. I felt lost, but I also felt like I was connecting myself more with myself because I was learning more about Another culture, allowing me to see things through another lens, making me more open minded and clearing some thoughts. The staff at ARI truely want to make your time here enjoyable, but they also really want to teach you about the importance of organic agriculture, living a more environmentaly sustainable life, and the importance of knowing how your actions effect the environment. I love Japan because everyone seems to be so aware of that. It is not considered weird or “out of the way” to recycle or dispose of trash properly, nor is it taking up too much time.

One reason I was interested in coming to Japan was learning more about Buddhism. I love the culture that Buddhists share: relaxed, welcoming, genuine, and are truely selfless. I find myself feeling more connected with the spirituality Buddhism has to offer. I have found it freeing and limitless. Throughout this course so far we have visited numerous temples and shrines noticing the intricacy of the art bestowed within and the array of generations or prayers, love, and wishes that had passed through. I felt serenity and comfort.

With this connection I feel that I have a clearer mind, a happier heart, and stronger soul. I have found that spirituality does not equal religion, amd religion does not equal spirituality. People with no religion have shown me how to be more aware of the realities of the situations around me, how to handle them, how to be strong, and how to ask others for help. People of other faiths have shown me new ways of thinking, new lenses to look through, and how to open my mimd to ideas I didn’t even know I could create. People from other cultures have taught me a lot. The first thing I have learned was that I live in a bubble; unaware of what is even happening around the block, let alone around the world, and the way people live. Most importantly, I have learned how to be patient. Just because someone does not live the same way I do does not mean it is wrong, it could be perfect for them and I just need to learn about it. With learning comes patience. And it has been so rewarding to learn about other cultures and religions and find was to accomodate their patient ways into my daily life.