Lily Lam

Lily Lam

Education Officer, WWF-HK

Lily Lam is an Education Officer who divides her time between the various WWF sites throughout Hong Kong. From tours of Hoi Ha Wan Marine Park and Mai Po Nature Reserve to outreach programs in schools all over the city, she regularly employs her ecology studies and experience as a young Hong Konger to promote environmental protection and conservation. Lily regularly enjoys Hong Kong’s natural sceneries. Her commitment to environmental protection is well integrated into her day to day life as she continually strives to be a meaningful role model and educator.

“Actually it’s easy to go by public transport, you just a bus, a van, or even MTR you can, like within an hour you can get to Hong Kong’s remote area. And you don’t have to plan a lot of time, it might be a short trip, just for maybe a morning or an afternoon, and you can get to see the beautiful sceneries of Hong Kong…”

Lily Lam Transcription

So I remember one time when I get to Lion — there’s a mountain called Lion Rock — and actually it takes one or two hours of hike and then you get to see different sides of Kowloon area, yeah the whole scenery of the city, but it’s just next to — when you see high rise buildings in the city, but then just next door you see beautiful mountains nearby, so it’s pretty interesting.

“When you’re seeing the kids enjoy nature so much, and when they say something that is really positive, it’s very encouraging to us, and it’s a very nice example to tell the adults how the future generation think about their world and what they think is important to them. So, when, like, especially the older generation…”

Lily Lam Transcription

get this message, they may have a second thought of, because I want to give a better nature to our future generation, they may have a change something to, yeah, to our environment.

“As an educator — I need to, like, be a role model and I feel like this is the most effective way to protect our environment because you can do it every day. And, yeah, I avoid using plastic products. Yeah, but, like, I got the wrap, like the eco wrap to replace my plastic bag for getting the bread from the bakery, and groceries, and yeah…”

Lily Lam Transcription

If you are saying the most impactful practice it would be the two of these. I hope Hong Kong can really ban the plastic bottles and the government really can install the water fountains in every of their facilities. I think that’s a really big move, already, and it’s not a very difficult thing to do.

“During 2003 we got a SARS disease — there’s a disease related to lung, yeah, there’s, so there’s a big thing going on here and actually, at that time, the country park visitors, the numbers of country park visits were like, rose so high because everyone just get to, not, they don’t want to stay in the city…”

Lily Lam Transcription

because there are so many disease and they are afraid of getting infection so they just go to the wild and it’s free for everyone so they can just go on to wherever they want. So I think it’s very important, no matter for relaxation or even for health purposes, Hong Kong’s natural environment is very important to humans.