Jenna Coughlin, PhD

Researcher and Lecturer: Scandinavian Studies & Environmental Humanities

In January, I had the pleasure of talking with Laura Yuen of the Star Tribune about the Norwegian concept of “friluftsliv.” Although I examine Norwegian views of nature from a scholarly perspective in my research, in my personal life I have genuinely felt the benefits of this pragmatic attitude that emphasizes the benefits of incorporating outdoor experiences into your everyday life. Rather than being a practice for the ultra tough or well-resourced, “friluftsliv” emphasizes the small ways that frequent encounters with the more-than-human world can enhance both individual well-being and social relationships.

What I felt was missing in the article were the ways that Norwegian social structures support “friluftsliv”: A shorter work week, long vacations, universal health care so that ankle you twisted while out hiking doesn’t land you in a pile of medical debt, and even the fact that most businesses are closed on Sunday, making outdoor activities one of the best recreational options on the weekend. Not to mention “allemannsretten,” or the Right to Roam, which allows people not to have to worry about trespassing on private property and also educates people from an early age about their responsibility to enjoy nature respectfully.

While it appeals to many people in the United States, “friluftsliv” isn’t a practice that is easily translated to the US American context.