- Important Immigration Documents: Passport, Form I-20 or DS-2019, SEVIS Payment Receipt I-901, Admissions and Financial Aid Award Letters. Make copies of important documents. Bring the original and a set of copies in your carry-on luggage [NOT your checked luggage] and leave another set of copies with family at home.
- Eyeglasses or Contact lenses: St. Olaf’s Student Health Insurance does NOT cover eye exams or eyeglasses. Students are encouraged to get their eyes checked at home before coming to St. Olaf and to bring an extra pair of glasses and contact lenses. Bring a copy of your prescription (eyeglasses and contacts) with you in case you need to purchase them once you are in the U.S. It is also strongly recommended that students see a dentist in their home country and have all necessary dental work completed before coming to St. Olaf as these are not covered by U.S. health insurance.
- Medication: Bring a month’s supply and a doctor’s prescription for any medication that you take regularly. If you have any special health problems (i.e. allergies, dietary restrictions, etc.), bring information from your physician about your condition. Students might also want to bring over the counter medications for cough, cold, allergies, stomach discomfort, headache etc. and other personal toiletries as they might not find similar products in the U.S.
- Things that remind you of home like photographs, music, books, games, crafts and other visual items. You can also use these to show your new friends about your life at home.
- Laptop: If you already have a laptop, feel free to bring it with you. If not, don’t worry! The college has desktop computers free to use on campus.
- Cell phone: If you do not already have a cell phone, you may purchase a phone or SIM card at one of several stores after you arrive. Please note that not all U.S. phone carriers work on the GSM frequency that is common in the rest of the world, so even if you bring your cell phone from home it might not be possible to use it.
- Gifts: You might want to bring a few items from home that you can give away as gifts. It would be a nice gesture to pick something up for your new roommate. This will help things start off on a good note.
- International Adapter: To allow your electronic devices to be plugged into a U.S. outlet. These are sometimes available in the U.S., but purchasing in your home country would guarantee a better fit with your electronic devices. Remember that the U.S. runs on 120v, which is not compatible with electronics from some countries. Note also that U.S. uses 2 or 3-prong electrical plugs that might be different from your country.
- Traditional clothing that can be worn for special occasions, such as dinners or International Night performances.
- Formal attire that can be worn at formal events on campus, if you have it. You can always get something in Minnesota if you don’t!
- Snacks from home leaving home, family and friends can be tough and its sometimes nice to have snacks, spices or tea that remind you of home. It is also a nice gesture to share some with your roommate and friends.
ITEMS FOR YOUR BEDROOM:
Residence Hall rooms come with: a bed, mattress, dresser, microwave, mini refrigerator, desk, and desk chair.
St. Olaf will provide you with TEMPORARY bedding that you must return before classes begin. There will be a shopping trip as part of orientation, where you can buy bedding, items for your dorm room, clothing, etc. Students usually purchase fitted sheets (for the bed mattress), flat sheet (bed size is Twin XL or 203cm x 99cm), blanket/comforter, and a pillow. There are second-hand stores in Northfield where you can buy and reuse a variety of items to help you create and decorate your room here at St. Olaf.
However, if you would like to order your own items online, you can have them sent to your St. Olaf mailing address and pick them up after you arrive at the campus post office.
Your Full Name
1500 St. Olaf Ave
Northfield, MN 55057 USA
Be sure to purchase insurance against loss or damage for any packages you send to the U.S.
Remember: Whatever you bring or purchase in the Fall needs to be removed from your room when you move out in the summer. However, to help, St. Olaf provides some summer storage space for sealed boxes, rugs, and furniture.