What to expect when coming to Gazipasa is to naturally become more of a free spirit. There is something so freeing about being here. I just try to live my life how I want to and try not to care too much about what other people think. I would recommend to do as much as you can while in Turkey. Rest is important too of course. My philosophy is when else will you be here? So you might as well do things that make you happy. This trip by no means was truly exhausting due to all the physical labor amongst many others things, but I tried my best to push through (even though I was exhausted half the time) and have the best time. I knew I would be able to crash at home and sleep for a solid 37 hours. However, the exhaustion was not as bad as it seems. You are in Turkey! So now is the time to be super experimental and try as many different foods as you can. Expect a lot of meat, especially chicken and goat. Pack as light as possible because chances are you will be leaving with more than you came with. Going on this archeological dig was amazing. I can guarantee you will not forget it, not only being on site but also the memories we all will have forever. Our group has many inside jokes that have drawn us all closer together.

I would participate in another archaeological excavation for the experience and learning but also to be around intelligent and fun people. This was my first “dig” so I had zero expectations. It was such an amazing experience for me that I would 100% go on another one. I think the biggest thing that would make me come back is the people I worked with. Everyone became super close super quickly. We all hung out with each other, went out to dinner, we had fun with each other. If you surround yourself with amazing people, amazing things will happen.

I have learned how much humans care about each other. I have learned how important it is to be part of a team. Whenever someone needed a break or was not feeling well, everyone was more than willing to offer a helping hand. We all continually checked in on each other throughout the entire trip because as the good people we are, we care about each other. The nice thing is that most of us will be returning to campus in the fall so we will continue to see each other.

Something funny I have learned is that no matter how old we are, the child within us remains, even with jokes… . Age is just a number. I can be a pretty quiet person but I have done things in Turkey that I never would have in America. Examples being performing the entire “Dancing Queen” number very theatrically from Mamma Mia while watching the actual movie as a group for my birthday. Also, just dancing in general. I have learned that I love dancing more than I thought. My new motto might become “Always dancing”. I have been more extroverted here than I have ever been in America. Part of that might be my whole thing of not caring what other people think. I do not know anyone here, they do not know me, I’m never going to see these people again. I think I should try to live my life more like that. Life is so short. It’s too short to be normal or care what people think about you. Just have fun and do things that make you happy. Like Tim said, he hand picked everyone who come on this trip. He did not want normal people, he wanted the weird ones. The weird ones bring their own ways of weirdness and that fosters a great group of people who have good times. Normal is not even a thing, and if it were, it is very much overrated. Throughout this whole trip everyone has done at least one thing that got Tim to say, “They are a strange little person.” And it’s very true. None of us would have it any other way.

I have so many memories on this trip. I might be able to actually write a book or travel piece. I felt like I was living in a dream or a sitcom the entire time. One memory I have from being on site that was my favorite was when Rahmi, the like 70 year old boss, came to my trench where I was digging and started a dance party in the hole with me. Pretty soon the entire site with all of us were in my very small trench/unit and we were dancing to Turkish music. It was truly an amazing experience. Another memory I have on site is when my good friend Matt and I dug our trenches in unit 6D. We both got into it so much and had such deep and honest conversations while digging our foundation trenches. We now refer to each other as trench besties 🙂

I have countless memories with friends on this trip as well. To me, Tim is included in the category of friends. He is one of the most amazing humans and professors I have ever met. He led a yoga session on a Sunday morning that very much strengthened the bond of our whole group. Another special thing our whole group had was keeping a quote list of funny things people said so they are preserved. My list of memories could go on and on. I may write that travel piece one day 🙂 My favorite Tim quote is: “A good thing is only a good thing when it’s a good thing.”

Our project has changed my perspective on my life for reasons I mentioned earlier. It has taught me how to care less about what people think and be more of a free spirit that does what she wants to do. Be yourself, be happy and be you. It has taught me how to be less stressed and more of “going with the flow”. My friend Caitlyn and I went to Pirate’s Cove yesterday for one final time and on the walk back up the trail she stops and looks at me. She says “I wonder if those coins we found on site belonged to a person who swam in this cove and walked up this cliff.” Being on site and literally digging up the past, touching things that a person might not have touched for 2000 years is insane to me and it really makes you think. It changes your perspective, especially on how you live your life. Just live your life and be happy. It definitely has done that for me. As I write this final reflection post right now, I am sitting in a coffee shop and the song “Mamma Mia” is playing (if you know me, Mamma Mia is my favorite movie and Abba is my favorite band). It is the perfect ending. I do feel that I am coming back as a changed person and I feel so good. It’s that moment when you can take a step back, reflect on yourself and notice just how much you have grown. It is truly amazing. 

I am so grateful to the Turkish people for being so welcoming and making this an amazing experience. The people and friends I was surrounded with truly made this trip what it is. I do not think I can forget any part of this trip, the people I have met and spent time with nor the memories. I hope to come back someday. I love you all forever <3