My experience in Turkey has made me want to do nothing else for years to come. Each day, I am encouraged and influenced by the people around me, not only in their expertise and dedication to archaeology, but in showing up everyday with a purpose, in honoring the people under the earth we uncover, and creating communities above it. I have learned oodles of knowledge in all sorts of things. I’ve learned what I am interested in and what I am not, albeit not much. I’ve learned the limits of the body and I’ve strengthened trust in my intuition. I’ve learned about history and my place in it. I’ve learned about rock composition and pottery dating and soil layers, but also of generosity and kindness and love. This is what I will remember the most—meeting people so different from me, yet so willing to meet me where I am, exchanging laughter and advice and experiences and stories and knowledge and cookies at break. What a gift to be immersed in such a labour of love. Here is some advice that I’ve put together. Take what resonates and leave what does not.

• Try to keep expectations to a minimum. Your brain is always looking for evidence to confirm what you have told it. I know it is easier said than done, but practice being present and grateful for what is front of you. Everywhere you look, there is beauty to find and lessons to learn. Thank the people around you. Thank the sun for keeping you warm, and the ocean for keeping you afloat. Thank your food for nourishing your body after a long day of work. Remind yourself the rarity of your worst fears ever actually coming true. Trust where you are—you got this. 
  • Keep a travel journal. Write everything down. Quotes from your friends, how you feel at different points in the day, glimmers and triggers, points of gratitude, questions you have, theories, deep truths, songs that put you in a state of flow. Everything. Read it in the airport on the way home. 
  • Ask so many questions. You are surrounded by experts of all kinds, and if nothing else, you are an expert of your own experience. Ask without expectation and write down the answers. Exchange knowledge and maintain humility. Form hypotheses of your own and share them with others. Listen more than speak. Seek out answers to deep questions that linger in your mind.
  • Make sure to balance community time with solitude. Sometimes its okay to eat a meal alone, read for a bit on the beach, or take a nap in the middle of day. You are not missing out on anything by giving yourself exactly what you need. But prioritize actively creating communities, too. Gather friends for yoga on the terrace, walks around the city, or night swims. You may find there are others searching for the same things as you.
  • Try everything. Go on weekend trips, jump in the ocean at night, eat at a new restaurant every weekend, watch the stars on top of Selinus, seek out people different from you, order a different drink every time you’re at Roby’s.
  • Remember that you can always buy things here, and probably for a better price than back home. Try to pack reasonably so you don’t have fees at the airport/need to carry around a heavy suitcase, and buy things here that you forget. You can even buy another suitcase if you need. For me, packing is a major source of anxiety, but even if you forget something that may seem essential, you may find innovate ways to work around it.