What advice would I give future participants?

I think I’d have to start off by giving the advice to BRING SUNSCREEN. Sunburns huuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrttt.

Other than that, I think it’s important that everyone who goes on this trip understands that yes you’re far from home in an unfamiliar country, but everyone here is more than happy to help you and you’ll never truly feel alone or lost with any problems you might have whether they be material or mental. Just don’t forget your visa because even though you can technically still get stuff figured out, you’ll miss the first week of work and lose a lot of money, just ask Riley.

Why I would participate in an archaeological dig again?

Not only has this been one of the most unique experiences in my life, it’s also been one of the most enjoyable things I’ve ever done. I’ve made friends I’ll keep for the rest of my life, I feel like I’m constantly learning something new, and I honestly couldn’t imagine a better way to spend the summer than becoming best friends with a dozen strangers and learning some of the most fascinating things which I never would have otherwise.

Why I wouldn’t participate in an archaeological dig again?

While this has been possibly the most enjoyable month of my life, it has also been extremely difficult work. Everyone involved, regardless of their physical abilities, was pushed to their absolute limits and I’ve come a bit too close to heat exhaustion a few too many times to not have to think twice before signing up to go on a dig again. Now if it was an archaeological dig in a more tepid climate then I’d absolutely be in, though it just wouldn’t be the same without Stawberry or Tim.

What I’ve learned?

There are many things I learned, one of the most important was the ability to communicate clearly and concisely what I am doing and collaborating with my coworkers based on our communications. On top of that the ability to comfortably enter a completely foreign culture and communicate through a heavy language barrier without having a mental breakdown is definitely a big thing I had to learn. Obviously, the most important things I learned was how to model and animate in blender but that goes without saying.

My most memorable experience?

By far my most memorable experience was the first time going to pirate’s cove. The gorgeous view coupled with Tim nonchalantly telling us the absolutely ridiculous history of the nearby fortress thingy (I can’t remember exactly what it’s called right now don’t get mad at me) was unforgettable. Really I think that can be said for just about every place here, amazing views and fascinating history just laying around, waiting to be discovered.

How my project has changed my perspective?

I’d have to day this project has completely changed my own outlook on what I’m capable of. Honestly after going through this whole experience I can’t see myself ever being given a challenge and thinking “I can’t do it” just “I can try it”. Whether it was the grueling hard labor, meticulous digging, or learning how to use blender, I was able to confront and overcome every challenge, self-imposed or not, no matter how difficult it was.