If I were asked about this excavation in an interview I would respond with the following key points; it allowed me to build some experience with Bioarchaeology (my dream career), it taught me patience, it helped me expand on my excavation techniques and skill, I learned how to work effectively with people from a variety of backgrounds and interests, and that it taught me that my abilities as a person and an academic expand further than I once thought. I feel more confident as a leader and an intellectual and I’m excited to continue working as an archaeologist.

One of the most rewarding experiences I had here was working with our  Bioarchaeologist, Megan. I discovered an interest in bioarchaeology and forensic anthropology during my time in Rome and while I briefly taught classes on the topic there, I did not get hands-on experience with it until this excavation. Working in a lab with bones and beginning to truly understand bioarchaeology as a topic and career allowed me to not only make the decision to pursue it but allowed me a deeper understanding of the ethics and importance of all forms of archaeology. I like the idea of working with human remains telling the story of the person they once were. I think this stems from the anthropologist in me. Outside of archaeology itself, I have learned a lot about what parts I play best in group settings and discovered that I am drawn to leadership and more technical roles (articulation, piecing together bones, etc) jobs that require a closer eye.