I’m happy to say that I still greatly enjoy the work being on on our site, and I don’t foresee that changing anytime soon. One of the big things for me, as I’ve mentioned in my last post and become notorious for both on and off the site, is my propensity for lugging around large rocks. I love pushing myself to the limit, and these rocks let me do it in an environment where I can test the practicality of my training. It made me realize that deadlifts are for much more than show… they’ve never been my favorite lift, but they play an integral role in archaeology, or at least the work being done on this site. I always appreciate the concern others have for me when I get my hands on a hefty boulder, but nothing makes me happier than engaging my whole body and even my mind to remove it from sight.

Working on this site also made me question what type of work or field of archaeology I might like to pursue in the future. The physical labor is something that doesn’t sound like fun, but for me, the satisfaction it brings is more than enough to tide me over. Honestly, I could see myself doing manual labor or landscaping as a part-time job if the need arises, which is something I never would have thought of prior to coming here. I have a lot of appreciation for the slow progress we make, as it is always noticeable, but comes at such a pace as to always keep me waiting with bated breath as to what we might uncover next. A final point I’d like to emphasize is the people I have met here and how much they have made me enjoy my experience. Because of this dig, I was able not only to meet many amazing St Olaf students and become closer with them, but also to become immersed in Turkish culture and the friendly atmosphere that flows throughout the country. Teaching some Turkish students how to swing dance during a bus ride break on the side of the road is such a ridiculous thought when considering how I was just a few months ago, but I’m proud to say that I did it, and never would have had such a chance if I hadn’t come here.