Coming into this I knew there was going to be some sort of physical labor aspect of it, however, I did not realize it would be to the extent that it is. I would say in terms of physical labor, I kind of came in more blindly. In the past, I had worked on my cousin’s farm in southern Minnesota moving dirt, driving tractors and the like. And usually on the weekends during the fall I would walk at least 20 miles when I had golf tournaments. This past spring I really got into lifting weights which I think did help me in the long run, but even at that I did not have a clear idea of what I was getting myself into. I love manual and physical labor. Being here working on the Acropolis is like having a gym to work out in without actually having a gym to go to. I apparently did not know my limits and found out I am a lot stronger and determined than I thought I was.

I did not know this much work went into archeology. I genuinely thought it was just digging and finding cool things, which we do, but it is not all that makes up the whole of archeology. I did not know so much manual labor was involved as I mentioned, but also the measuring, land surveying and math/data aspect of it which I find so interesting and fun to do!

My overall thoughts about Antiochia have changed. I feel as if we are attempting to tell the stories of the people who lived here. For me, it is so fascinating because I recently learned that Greek people lived in this region as well which puts me at a closer connection with the people who once lived here. I enjoy learning about my ancestors and the people that lived around them.

Someone recently said that there are only 8 days left of work days which makes me very sad. The time has already gone by so fast. I am having so much fun and I love the people I have surrounded myself with. There is no other time in my life when I will be in Turkey on an archeological dig with these wonderful people. I love working hard with everyone on site, living in such close quarters with one another and being able to spend time with time outside of work with each other like going to the beach or going out to dinner, One memory that is already a core memory for me is when one evening at dusk, Saige, Caitlyn, Julia and I went to Gazipasa beach and went for a night swim. It was so amazing being in the water with such great women watching the stars, the sunset, the planes flying in, the lit up stairs going up to Mount Selinus and the peace of the calming water. I will never forget any part of that memory.