So far, the dig has been a lot of hard work in some pretty intense conditions. It gets pretty hot and humid back home, but I’m not at home digging holes and hauling rocks in the sun all day either. I have new appreciation for water. At the same time, it’s very satisfying! Especially unearthing the rocks. I’m writing this while trapped in the dorm with a cold, and it feels sad to miss out. As a whole it’s been interesting to get into the meticulous details of field work. Measurements, loci, weather data, soil analysis, more measurements, photos, labelling, sketches, even more measurements, etc.

I expected to sweat under the heat and exertion, but what I didn’t expect was how I (and others) adapted so quickly. Back home in Minnesota, I definitely didn’t look at a chilly 90 degree forecast and think “Wow, lucky!” Not that everyone here loves the heat either. It’s amazing to watch the city come to life as the sun sets.

Life in Gazipaşa involves all sorts of new things. New language, environment, people, landscape, sounds, smells, etc. Thankfully, all our work is supported by a lot of amazing food. I have a running list of things I need to find again when I get back to the States. It’s all fun to experience! The cute stray cats and dogs are a bonus. At the same time, there’s a lot of moments of familiarity. Making new friends, hanging out with old friends, sharing snacks from the corner store, competing for washing machines, little kids waving from strollers, and the general motions of daily life. Spending the weekend deciphering readings assigned by Dr. Howe feels especially nostalgic. All in all, a great mix of the old and new!