My anticipation builds as the commencement of ACARP 2023 creeps near. But before I step aboard my flight, I present some preliminary thoughts regarding the site, written in response to “Antiochia Ad Cragum in Western Rough Cilicia” (Hoff et al. 2015). 

In 2015, the Antiochia ad Cragum Archaeological Research Project completed its first decade of archaeological investigation (206). At the time of writing, project members dated the visible architectural elements to the Byzantine era, with artifactual fragments reaching back to the late Classical Period, even the Bronze Age (201). Nearly a decade has passed since this publication. Is there evidence of earlier structures (pre-Hellenistic)? The discovery of pre-Byzantine artifacts suggests a longstanding tradition of human activity in the region. What do we know now? 

Why did the Historical Preservation authorities in Antalya re-erect two columns on Colonnaded Street? What is the value of recreating the colonnade bases? The study justifies the repair by suggesting scholarly and historical significance (211). Did the re-erection help conserve the remaining columns? What’s been gained by this project, academically and culturally?

Antiochia is seemingly covered in mosaics. The geometric panels from the Covered Court are particularly striking (Fig. 10-15). The mosaic pavement around the Great Bath Court and the Peristyle pictures a floral motif. Does this motif possess cultural significance? The study observed an asymmetry between the west and east sides (220). What more have we gleaned about this apparent discrepancy? Does it have structural, functional, or aesthetic meaning? I’m also interested in evidence of looting. 

The Rough Cilicia Archaeological Survey Project (1996-2004) identified several structures on the Acropolis. An aerial view of the locale pictures the buildings in “no particular pattern” (222). Is this observation concerning the buildings relative to each other? The study suggests that the configuration resembles a “typical mountain village in the region” (222). If we draw this comparison, can we observe patterns concerning the cluster of buildings relative to their surroundings? Furthermore, what architecturally differentiates mountain villages from non-mountain residential areas?

Despite all the impressive findings presented by Hoff et al., I’m most excited to experience the height of the cliff edge overlooking the sea. The Mediterranean has always served as a nucleus for movement and transaction. I want to see what centuries of others have seen. Before the dig, I would like to meet Konrad. He’s thanked in footnote 10. It’s endearing. 

In less than 72 hours, I will embark on my journey to Gazipaşa. After battling the State Department for my passport, I can hardly wait. 

Saturday, July 8, 2023