Coming to Turkey has been an experience of a lifetime. If you had asked me five months ago that I would be fulfilling my childhood dream of excavating an ancient city, I would have laughed in your face. There was a point where I did not believe I would be able to go, yet events just so happened to fall into a place where traveling to Turkey was possible. The biggest thing I have learned over the past month is patience. Patience while digging pass by pass, and patience with yourself and your abilities. Between the first and last day on site, the amount of knowledge myself and my peers obtained is tremendous. Allow yourself to ask questions, speculate, understand that anything is possible, and realize that there are no wrong answers. 

Out of all of the memories I have of our project, the most memorable is from the first day on site. While the first day was the most tiring and draining day while on site, it was the most rewarding. Never had I been so drenched in sweat and covered in dirt. Never had I felt more important and powerful. I remember when part of a bone box was found that day, how beautiful it was. When I realized where it was found, it had been completely covered in brush. The amount of progress our team made in only a few hours made the sweat, tears, and dirt completely worth it. As I mentioned in my first blog post, it was then I realized that perhaps I can be good at something other than music. 

Before coming to Turkey, I thought that my future was going to be decided once I began archaeology. Either I would choose music, or archaeology. Once I got to know other volunteers at the dig house, I realized that like them, I can pursue archaeology outside of my musical career. If one can be a doctor and come to Antiochia, then I can be a musician and dig holes on the side. That being said, I hope to continue digging holes and rolling in dirt at Antiochia. While I do enjoy those two activities, my decision to continue archaeology lies within the knowledge I have gained and the artifacts that you can physically work with. Finding a thumbprint on a shard of pottery gives proof that another person two thousand years ago was touching the same piece of pottery- that is mind boggling. 

For those who wish to join me in the dirt, make sure you bring EVERYTHING that is on the packing list…especially a wide array of medications. Even if you will not need them, someone will. Besides what to pack, try not to say no too often. Take opportunities given to you and make sure you do not leave regretting not trying something new. As for me, there are many things I did not get to- foods, locations, ect. Now I must hope life gives me the opportunity to come back next year and learn more about not only archaeology but myself as well.