Being an archaeological intern in Turkey is now a milestone in my life. While it lasted only a month, the skills I obtained in excavation methods, data collection and interpretation, as well as photogrammetry are enough to launch a career in archaeology, something I hope to do. Even though I still have a ways to go before I would consider myself proficient in anything, my first time moving a trowel, surveying a site, or even interpreting features within my excavation unit were all important lessons in day-to-day dig site operations.

One of the greatest lessons in archaeology that I learned during this experience, however, was in data analysis. I learned that preconceived notions of the unit and expectations of findings cloud judgment and influence personal interpretations of the findings. It is therefore best to have an open mind while excavations are underway and to change whatever the mental conception of the unit may be given the discovery of new data. Archaeology is data driven, so it is crucial for archaeologists to acknowledge new data as it surfaces. For me, this lesson was also one about being comfortable with being wrong; something that some archaeologists still struggle with.

When asked about what I will remember most about this internship, it will be easy to remember the most exciting experiences, such as the field trips and first-timer moments of doing archaeology, since these memories will last a lifetime. The field trips provided me with context of the environment and the landscape of southern Turkey. By climbing Selinus, ascending mountain passes, and swimming in sulfur springs or among ancient ruins, I really felt like I understood and respected the environment that the people of Antiochia ad Cragum and elsewhere called home. Of course, the shocking realization that archaeology involves the clearing of all of the sharp plants, stubborn roots, and heavy rocks furthered my respect and intimacy with the landscape.

For any student looking to have this experience, I have a few recommendations and bits of advice. Please be aware that this internship requires hard physical labor. If you are not comfortable carrying rocks, buckets, or heavy wheelbarrows, save yourself a month of complaining and have a fun experience somewhere else. Also, good shoes are important; you will be walking almost everywhere in town and around the dig site, so having comfortable and supportive shoes are a must. Equally important are good socks. You will be sweating all the time, so hiking socks are good at keeping your feet from drowning in a puddle of your own perspiration. My last piece of advice is to keep an open mind and have a positive attitude. Know that Turkey is different from the US and that it is okay. Please use this opportunity to try new things every chance you get, because you never know if you’ll come back. Try the Ayran at the highland festival, you will not regret it 🙂