On my archaeological excavation I did what most would associate with the trade: digging and dusting off old ruins and objects of the past to understand more about classical and medieval Anatolia. But there is more to it than meets the eye. Like a painter painting a picture or an old man doing taxes, precision and care are key traits of an expert archaeologist. When digging on site I’ve learned the importance of technique. You should always try and keep the ground level in your area. Why is that? Well, it helps keep the soil similar between the different areas, and also gives context to the discovery of objects. Using measurements is also important.

Another important skill I learned is communication. While archaeology is an amazing profession and has been awesome to learn, my growth in communication here is applicable to my life. Whether on site or at a restaurant, the ability to talk and understand someone has pervaded my journey in Turkiye. My favorite and most  cherished moments in Gazipasa are those where I just talked to others. It is an amazing opportunity to learn about others. Hearing all of the wild stories my peers share is great. However, I enjoy conversing with Turkish people the most. Breaking the language barrier is difficult, don’t get me wrong. I have had my fair share of desperate google translations; hoping my words were fully understood. What I’ve learned is that communication is not limited to language, but included body gestures and other social cues. I like laughing and smiling with others. Maybe this lesson comes from a biased perspective, where most of my life I have always struggled to talk with others.

But I hope I am not alone in saying that listening and engaging with different people is more rewarding than most Americans perceive it to be.