Besides the sometimes stressful environment at the dig-site resulting from tired students, I have had another lovely week immersing myself in archeological work and the hospitality of Antiochia.
Taking some time to reflect on what I knew about archeology before coming to Antiochia, I really didn’t know much. My understanding was that I’d be digging in the dirt and finding things like animal bones, and that is definitely part of the process but a small one compared to the amount of other work that goes into it. And I love it! The whole experience of preparing for excavation is truly rewarding since there is a new level of commitment to the work. I’ve enjoyed learning how to do a pass and how proper technique with a dustpan and trowel results in careful recording of pottery, bones, and other finds. In general, I find being helpful to the whole team makes the most difference. I’m so lucky to have such communicative and hard working teammates that help each other out despite the work being tedious and the weather very humid. While we were all Ole’s, we basically met as strangers and it’s a special experience to meet these people and get to know their triggers the second week in. We wake up at five in the morning, work in the hot humid sun, and are in close contact with each other. However, I’ve heard and read blog posts that this isn’t how it usually is. I guess the effects of COVID isolation will continue to rear its ugly head in different ways.
On another note, the cultural experiences I’ve had this week were fantastic! The city is bikeable and families are usually always together at the beach. I was able to go to the Highlander Festival Games during the day on Saturday where I saw camels dressed up in pretty patterns. I also was able to pump the ayran made in goats skin so that it foams. Most people weren’t huge fans of the ayran but I loved it surprisingly.