I did not know what to expect of Turkey as I disembarked the plane at the Gazipasa airport. My only previous experience with the country involved my awestruck self gazing at vast coastlines that separated the most blue of waters from lush deserts, and jagged mountaintops from 30,000 feet. I was no less amazed by the culture of Turkey once I had the chance to explore Gazipasa. I can’t help myself but to smile every time I walk outside, as the slower way of life here, in addition to the beautiful mountain views, brings about a sense of ease that makes me feel at peace with myself, the residents of Gazipasa, and the surrounding environment. I feel very lucky and privileged to have this experience, as I realize how difficult it is for people to travel the world and appreciate how people are not that different from each other despite the great distances that may separate them.

Another pleasant discovery regarding the culture of Turkey has been the food; it is all too delicious. Given the rich biodiversity of the Antalya region, I have been able to eat the most fresh food I have ever consumed in my life. Simply put, American fruits and vegetables have nothing on the flavor and quality of Turkish foods. I have especially enjoyed the savory Turkish kebabs and Gözlemes, which are similar to quesadillas, but much better.

In between delicious meals I have spent much time doing what I came here to do: archaeology… well, kind of. The first day came as a shock to everyone, as we were excavating large rocks and complex root systems instead of anything worth studying. The first week, and the first day especially, was a harsh realization for everyone new to archaeology, as we learned that units need to be cleared of all obstructions before excavations can occur, no matter how much they are covered in dirt or smothered by stubborn roots. That means for excavations to begin, days of demanding physical labor are required. I figure that all our hard work will make the excavations more meaningful since our days spent busting our butts are an investment towards learning about the domestic life of Antiochia ad Cragum. I look forward to all my future experiences in Turkey, whatever they may be, and the satisfaction of a job well done, knowing that I will soon be a small part of the production of new historical information.