There are so many things that I don’t know. There are so many things that no one really knows, and so many things that no one wants to know. But one thing I now know, is that it is okay to not know. In fact, it’s great to not know something because then you have the opportunity to learn it. You have the potential to grow and to experience life in a new way. My time in Turkey taught me many things. Perhaps most importantly it taught me that I can be, and should be, okay with being wrong. This has been a wonderful opportunity to learn and to grow, and I’ve recently found that those two things are often one in the same.

Archaeology refines certain skills that might not seem obvious at first. Sure, I’ve learned how to use a trowel, how to take elevations, and identify pottery, but working here has also fostered a sense of adaptability, heightened my curiosity, and developed my own independence. I have better communication skills, from working as an archaeologist as well as from living in a foreign country. I believe I am more observant and pay closer attention to my surroundings. Archaeology is an overload of information and processing it takes lots of time and focus. While it’s exhausting, I find that I’m excited to tackle each day, as well as hoping take advantage of as many opportunities as possible while I still can. Who knows when I’ll be able to hike up to an ancient city again, so I might as well do it now. 

Hypotheses frequently change and so do our perspectives. I spent the better part of a month re-digging a hole that turned out to be something completely different than what we originally thought. We were constantly altering  our ideas, and although it was frustrating and confusing, it was necessary. It made us assess what we had in front of us and apply what we knew from previous experiences. We had to analyze what that meant in regards to the overall project. This process happened countless times throughout the excavation. It was a constant reminder to question everything, even if you might not find an exact answer. Questioning and thinking about my surroundings is a skill I hope to keep and improve from now on. 

I found that I am curious about pretty much everything here. I hope I haven’t annoyed my professor with my frequent questions of the local flora and fauna, as well as many cool rocks that I find. I always knew I wanted to learn about these things, but this experience has shown me that I really want to know as much as possible about everything that interests me. Spending over a month surrounded by such fantastic individuals who all have so much knowledge of their own has only made me want to learn more. The archaeological community I’ve been exposed to is collaborative and supportive. I hope to continue to find people who share the idea that  you never stop learning or growing. 

This experience is unforgettable and will definitely stay with me throughout my future. It taught me so much more than concrete archaeological skills. I believe I’ve grown personally, professionally and academically. Working here has taught me to be more assertive about what I’m thinking. It has given me experience communicating my thoughts in a professional manner. It has taught me to adapt to my surroundings, to adapt to what changes, and to really think about why things are the way they are. I pay closer attention to detail, constantly evaluating what I’m doing. I have more independence and confidence, knowing that I can in fact do things like this, and do them successfully. It’s okay to not know everything, in fact it’s better that way. Most importantly, my time in Turkey has taught me that everything is an opportunity for learning and growth. Archaeology just happens to be a really fun way to do it all at once, something I hope to continue in the years to come.