So far my time in Turkey has been really good and I like it here. I had never been out of the country before this, so every part of it has been an adventure! One of the things I especially love is how beautiful it is here. I am so amazed by the scenery at the dig site and the mountains in the distance as well. Coming from Minnesota, I am not very used to mountains.

Although it is pretty hot at times, I love the work we are doing as well. I already know that the more time I spend at the dig site the harder it’s going to be to leave when we’re “finished” (are we ever finished?). It may be tiring, but it is completely worth it and I’m so glad I have the opportunity to be here.

The food here is nothing like what I have at home, but it’s still really good. I think some of my favorite meals at home are things I will miss in the future even though I’ve liked every meal so far. The showers are also something that I’ve needed to get used to. I’ve never had to shower without some sort of curtain or door, so it’s easy for me to make a mess of the bathroom. I’m getting better at showering here, but I do miss my shower at home.

Walking around town the other day was very fun and cool to see and be apart of a culture that’s new to me. I look forward to meeting and hanging out with more Turkish students to get a feel of what they’re like and what life is like here for them.

Overall, being in Turkey is such an incredible experience that I am so lucky to have and I’m very glad that I’m here. I can’t wait to get further into the ground and be able to tell the stories (or guesses of the stories)of people of the past!