I knew it would be messy business clearing the underbrush of the dig site. Where there’s any hint of soil, something has to grow. And I signed up to cut down or dig up whatever I’m told to. They tell you about the prickly bushes, their thick roots, etc. But what they don’t tell you about? The waiting. Sitting on the bus early in the morning and looking at the southeastern Turkish pine tree-covered hills, I have time to think about our mission to destroy the plant life in Antiochia, and reclaim ancient civilization from it. I may have had some sympathy for those thorny bushes, but after a couple hours, I’ve become a mechanical bush-whacking machine, I whack for my friends, for my site supervisors, and for the ancient civilizations I love.

Excavating through my unit (AC6C), I was surprised to find so many large rocks underneath the top layer of soil. Unearthing them completely, and tossing them aside, is a very satisfying experience. It makes my unit feel more like part of a dig site for archaeology, when the area is level, and lower than the surrounding area. Really looking forward to uncovering more pottery, possibly dating the site, and finding more structures such as another room or a drain path.
Gazipasa is a nice town, the scenery makes up for the scorching sun and heat. When I have time, I intend to properly explore its shops, restaurants, and neighborhoods. Right off the bat, I notice they have many little convenience shops selling snacks and little household things, all over the place.