The dig house roof is one of my favorite places in Gazipaşa. Though it might seem obscure, I think the ambiance of evenings spent there as a group capture the idyllic quality of this internship experience as a whole. On the roof, we sprawl out on Sali Pazari mats as the cool and bug-less air refreshes our increasingly tanned skin. Our muscles ache as we stretch them out, feeling the unwavering exhaustion that accompanies a productive workday. The sun sets, and our features become less and less distinguishable in the fading light. Gabe makes a phrasing joke, Bedri tells John to stop swearing, and amid contented laughter Tim asks the hobbits to start us off with unit updates. We discuss the current status of our individual work, the acropolis as a whole, and the historical context of it all, working together to solve this ancient puzzle. Soon the stars begin to peek out, their light complimenting that of ever-present Selinus in the distance. A surreal warmth—a figurative sensation much less abrasive than the constant 35°C—infuses these rooftop moments, this internship abroad, even the potential of a career in archaeology.

When I heard about this internship at Antiochia ad Cragum, I jumped on the opportunity to travel to Turkey without really considering the archaeological component. Until a month ago, I categorized the profession of archaeologist alongside astronaut or even princess; it was something people did in novels or movies but nothing I considered a realistic career path. Now that I have taken the first step and actually gotten my hands dirty (so very literally), however, I can’t help but look ahead five or ten years and imagine the possibility of traveling around the world as an archaeologist. Thinking about this still feels a little bit like dreaming of becoming a princess—though with a considerably less glamorous wardrobe—but the fact that I can even consider pursuing something so unique blows my mind. I obviously still have a lot of learning and soul searching to do, but my foot is in that archaeological door, and as a rising sophomore, that’s way more than I could have ever hoped for at this point. Here’s to the dig house roof, the community it fostered, and all the potential it represents.