The last day onsite at Antiochia ad Cragum was a success. We found remnants of a plaster floor and decided to stop digging one day prior to close. We cleaned the area using brushes so that an aerial photograph could clearly capture each rock and architectural detail of the structure. The curvature of the complex, along with the discovery of hydraulic mortar, suggest that we uncovered a baptistry. On the last day of excavation, we finished our cleaning of the baptistry.

One of my most memorable moments of the research project was when my team removed the tent that covered AC6. A tarp held by steel poles protected us from the harsh sun during excavation. Once we removed the tent for the aerial photograph, our site finally became a finished product, a part of the greater Acropolis. My team of four (Gamma Squad) worked in AC6 while other Ole groups worked in other sections of the Acropolis. We worked alongside these groups, yet since we did not share a local excavation space, my team was somewhat independent of the others. However, once we removed the tent covering AC6, the line of separation between our site and the rest of the Acropolis disappeared. The aerial photograph documented our work and AC6 became a recognized part of the city. This was my archaeological moment—I was a “first witness” to the baptistry since the time of its use.

Interning at Antiochia ad Cragum this month gave me the chance to experience archaeological fieldwork and to evaluate archaeology as a profession. I cannot imagine never again picking up a trowel. I believe that this excavation is the first of many to come for me. I do not yet know whether I will return to Antiochia ad Cragum or if I will become a full-time archaeologist. I do know, however, that I found something compelling in archaeology worth further exploration.

I am deeply grateful for this opportunity and for the people who I met along the way. I feel lucky to have been a member of the incredible team of 13 Oles who took a chance to try a new venture. We worked hard, had fun, and developed lasting friendships. Thank you to Tim and Mary, and, of course, my fellow Oles for a great season and memories to last a lifetime.