The 2018 excavation season at Antiochia ad Cragum will soon come to a close. This experience exceeded all of my expectations. Though I miss Oshkosh and my family, I am sorry to leave so soon. Time sure flies when you are an archaeologist in Turkey! This past month of fieldwork at the Acropolis has taught me a bit about myself. I learned that I love the puzzle of archaeology. Archaeological finds—the puzzle pieces—are often broken or missing. The archaeologist’s job is to dig, interpret, and collaborate. Archaeologists dig to find evidence. As we dig, we interpret our finds and use context to inform our theories. We share our ideas with one another to reaffirm/revise our interpretations. We begin to solve the puzzle. Yet, the dig site continues to astonish and confuse us. Research questions yield more questions, and we seem to never quite be able to complete the puzzle. This “squishy” aspect of archaeology captivates my interest. Before my work in Turkey, I was uncomfortable with incomplete answers. Now, I find uncertainty to be incredibly intriguing.

It’s okay to not know the answer. —Tim

This internship has also taught me to not take work, or life for that matter, too seriously. A positive spirit makes light work. At times, back on the Hill, I worry about deadlines and stress. I second-guess my answers in class. I need to remember to relax, and that confidence comes with practice. Hectic schedules change at the last minute and life can be unpredictable. This trip has taught me that I can breathe, take a chance, and delve into my passions. I can go boldly where no Bria has gone before.

Chocolate fixes everything. —Mary