Now that our time in Turkey is quickly drawing to a close, I want to reflect on some of the out-of-classroom learning all this dirt and sweat has brought about. Please excuse any spelling and grammatical errors below since this whole “learning” and “self-reflection” thing can really wear a girl out.

As a worker… now more than ever I am finally beginning to realize for myself that I like projects in small, bite-sized pieces. I must organize my workload accordingly or else I’m confused and listless. Of course, I learned this the hard way after completing several work-days feeling as if nothing was accomplished because I never set apart a specific area for work or made short-term goals. Progress is easier to identify (and everything is much more encouraging) when I can take smaller steps within a larger project. Moreover, archaeology may involve a lot of exact science, but there’s no such thing as an easy and seamless conclusion at a dig site. It’s a larger project that never really concludes – it evolves! We’re constantly finding new information; I can’t put a nice bow on top once the season is completed. So, when the apsidal church I started working on at the beginning of July later became two different spaces, one of which is now a surprise baptistry, I learned that I can’t expect an easy answer to all my digging. It’s rather an exciting new discovery, and I must accept the messiness it entails.

As a learner… I depend on a good amount of guidance and structure, and that’s okay. I now know that I work best with that style. No worries, I still think for myself, but especially with this project, traveling and working as we are in a foreign country, planning is important. As John Turco says, “Sometimes going with the flow is more like being swept up in a flash flood.” I’m now absolutely certain that my Type A self is best assured when I know what’s going on ahead of time, even if I have to take charge and make a plan myself.

As a person… I definitely need to continue working on my patience. But with the help of some good friends, I can have a better attitude for just about any situation. Bad moods are allowed, yes. It’s okay to feel frustrated or angry or upset (though I’m still learning to accept this). There are small rocks in my boots, to phrase things metaphorically, where do I go from there? I can either let my bad mood ruin my interactions and even my entire day or I can learn to work out why I’m frustrated or angry or upset and take steps to internally untie and empty my boots without collateral damage.

Okay, that’s enough musing for now. Tomorrow (Monday) is our last full day digging, and I really look forward to finishing well, even if it’s not in the manner I expected at the beginning. I can happily say that my team has worked really hard this past month and we owe it to ourselves to finish strong and proud! There has been a lot o’ learning here.