The first week in Turkey has exceeded all expectation. With a layover to go sight seeing, I was able to explore with a friend and immerse in Turkish culture and history. While exploring, we experienced the brutal friendliness of shop keep after shop keep, this same friendliness was found in the Turkish student who I am happy to have as friends.  Our living condition, 14 men in one a 3-room apartment, has lead to strong bonds throughout all of the archeologists. The hustle and bustle of morning routines has now been streamlined to allow for the maximum sleep. Reminiscent of the apartment, the morning bus to the dig site is packed like sardines and those standing in the isle are forced out of the bus at the snack stop whether they want anything or not. Once at the site, we are embraced by the incredible scenery and sweltering heat; for some lucky souls myself included, there is a life saving breeze.  At 10:00, with noses packed with dust and faces smeared with dirt we climb down the path for teatime. Coming to a close at 10:30 consists of mingling with our Turkish friends and sharing snacks. Proceeded by a scare when Rahmi blows his whistle which signals the end of break, we march back to our sun baked sites eager to uncover something old, mostly dirt.

On Friday we visited a cove, which I had been fanaticizing about, and had my first experience deep water soloing (rock climbing above water) and am now counting down the days until I can go back. A wise man once said that we come to turkey not for the accommodations but for the food, scenery and company, so far I cannot agree more. For those who take the initiative turkey provides infinite adventures.

Patrick