My most meaningful interactions here have been with a Turkish student named Ace. My friend Leah and I arrived a day early, and Ace and her friends offered to take us to the beach in our spare time. We wandered out of the dig house around 2pm, very hungry but very excited to jump in the water. After a 20 minute walk, we reached a string of beach-front restaurants. We were more than ready to eat, but all of the restaurants were closed down because it was so late. Ace looked around, saw that we needed food, and pulled the chef aside. Within minutes delicious, vegetarian friendly (Ace made sure I could eat as well) food was being brought to our table, and we were all laughing and eating together. Ace and I struggled to communicate through google translate and simple hand gestures, but we still found ways to make each other laugh. When we were finished eating she paid for our meal, as our American credit cards weren’t working, waved off our insistences that we’d pay her back, and lead us to the ocean. We then proceeded to spend the afternoon laughing and splashing in the waves.

Ace is the perfect embodiment of Turkish hospitality. She didn’t just take care of us, she made us feel welcome and at home. And she has continued to do so. She checks in on us when we look sad, and she offers to share things like bubblegum and snacks. She doesn’t let a language barrier keep her from displaying kindness. All of the Turkish students here have demonstrated to me that kindness is universal. I came into this scared to communicate across cultures for fear that I would offend someone or make myself look silly, but Ace has reminded me that basic kindness is rarely offensive. I follow her example and spirit when I offer to share food or simply smile at someone I can’t speak with here. Language is important and I am trying to absorb as much of the Turkish language as possible, but until I do I will continue to try to be like Ace. I will show kindness and be open, and hope that understanding will follow.