A year ago, if someone told me that I would spend five weeks in Turkey excavating a Roman acropolis with a team of American students, I would have laughed in that person’s face. I never thought that would be me. When I was younger, I dreamed of being an archaeologist and traveling around the globe, hopping from one site to the next, unearthing history’s deepest secrets. For this summer to be a reality is something I cannot even begin to describe how lucky and thankful I feel.
In a month, I feel like I can attain a fair chunk of knowledge, but in this particular month, the vast amount of information I learned still baffles me. I learned about soil color and types, the composition and identity of pottery, how a wall and floor are made, the long-lasting effects of the Roman Empire that are seen even today, the setup of a Roman city, and many, many more tidbits that add to my ever-growing plethora of archaeological knowledge. I learned about myself: how I work with others, how I survive in a tiny room with five other strangers (that soon became close friends), how to use a Turkish toilet, how to form logic chains and create narratives for unknown situations, how to handle myself in stressful situations, and how to be eternally grateful for everything around. Turkey taught me the power of generosity and kindness, as so many strangers have gone out of their way to extend gestures of genuine kindness. By living in and learning about a culture so different from the Midwest, I can appreciate people as unique individuals with complex backgrounds and cultures. Not only have I grown in strength from hauling buckets and rocks, but I have also grown as an adult, mentally and emotionally. This has been a hard month, but I enjoyed it immensely and hope that this is not my last summer in Turkey.
So what can I do with everything I’ve gained this month? I am not an archaeology or history major, but I now consider archaeology as a possible future path for me. In the immediate future, I can use my patience and perseverance in my daily life. My organization of my dig notebook can be extended to improve personal organization. My love for Turkish culture can help me appreciate other cultures even more and ignite my curiosity for the world around me. I grew as a leader, so I can extend those skills to be more of an independently thinking leader. I am more fearless and more willing to challenge myself, mentally and physically. I can use my communication skills to effectively convey my thoughts as clearly as possible. With this summer, I feel more like an adult and leader, and the experiences from this month have pushed me to a new level of maturity. I hope to come back next year and further my skills, passions, and leadership abilities.