The first day at the Acropolis has been such a fun experience already! I was working with Lizzie (one of the TA’s) and a few other students at Trench 2A which we figure is a church. We’ve come across a couple of significant structures which we found under the ground as we were working on the soil with a trowel. One of theses structures was a fragment of stone with an etched cross. I believe finding these kinds of structures can really help us understand what we are dealing with at the site. The whole team can’t wait to uncover certain structures that will help us link to the people who once originated there.

The second structure we found was a piece of a broken off gravestone. On this piece is a face of a woman with very particular features. We see part of her hairstyle-curly because of all of the realistic etchings of the lumps and curved lines- , her facial features-a rounded face and huge eyes. Below and curved around the bottom half of her face are etchings of a thin bouquet of flowers. What a find! And to find this piece meant picking and troweling on a steep slope while having the feeling of being in an oven, huge beads of salty sweat trickling down my face.

The team is such a great bunch- helping me lift rocks that have a length of a whole wheel barrow. We may all have different areas of expertise, but we are all here to help with the fascinating discoveries. Some are Classics, History, Literature, Art, or Science Majors. But that’s what will improve upon the dig- gaining different questions and sides of our finds. As an art major, I’ve been enjoying all of the details on pottery and the layout of the site. It’s these detailed qualities that are treats for my eyes. I’ve been drawing pieces of pottery that one of my TA’s that’s asked me to draw and currently I’m drawing my professor’s (Tim’s) trench. I enjoy the idea that every experience I gain, my art will follow me and its waiting for me to create something relating to this new knowledge. Art is my life, and I love using it for all of our cool discoveries.