The most significant shock of Turkey is easily the heat. Coming from southern Indiana, I thought 100 degrees and 90% humidity would feel just like home, but something about Gazipaşa morphs the stifling heat into a greater beast. The constant state of sweatiness, however, is beginning to feel normal, and I have finally accepted the sweat stains. Up on the acropolis, the ocean breeze and breathtaking view distracts from the fact that I have sweat dripping off the tip of my nose and that I am sweating through my dirt-covered clothes – or rather, my soil-covered clothes.

We cope with the heat in numerous ways, including leisurely walks to the beach on the weekend and not-quite-leisurely trips down the steep and precarious path to the cove for swimming. I definitely feel lucky that our dorm-style bedrooms have air-conditioning, a perk I am not taking for granted. Hydration is key, especially during the digs. Each day, I haul a five-liter bottle of water up the hill to the acropolis, and at lunch, I bring down my empty bottle. It’s the little things that keep us going, like the excitement that comes from finishing a bottle of water the size of your torso.

Don’t get me wrong; I am having an incredible time in Turkey. The food is wonderful, the people are so friendly and hospitable, and the landscape is rich in beauty and history. Yesterday, the Turkish students were kind enough to make everyone a traditional Turkish breakfast with vegetables, cheese, olives, bread, and a ragout-type concoction – yummy! So, this morning, a few St. Olaf students returned the favor, and we made a traditional American breakfast with fresh fruit, pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage, Nutella, and maple syrup from Vermont. I am so pleased with our group because everyone always extends kindness and assistance. If someone needs something, everyone jumps in to help. I think this next month will most definitely be a good one. Sonra görüşürüz!