These past five weeks have been absolutely amazing.  I have learned so much during my time in Turkey.  For example, how much I dislike schist! In all seriousness, I learned so much about the history of the area, and how important Antiochia was as a harbor and city.  I learned a lot about archaeology and the proper techniques to use when excavating different areas.  I will remember this experience for the rest of my life.  I will always remember the sense of excitement when uncovering an artifact.  The feeling of holding in your hand something that hasn’t been seen or used for thousands of years is a humbling experience, knowing that people so long ago lived where we were standing, had homes and lives where we were excavating is a feeling that I will never forget.

Going to Turkey and participating in this adventure was one of the best decisions I have made.  It really made me think about what I would like to do in the future.  I would love to be able to work on more archaeology projects in the coming years.  The fact that I was able to do this during college was a great experience and opportunity. It gave me the chance to look at what I would like to do with my life and where I want my studies to lead me, and archaeology might be where I want to go!

To anyone thinking of participating in this program in the future, I say go for it!  Just remember to pack lots of sunscreen! As to what else to pack, make sure you bring a good pair of hiking boots because that’s what you’ll be wearing the most.  I think that the best way to end my trip was a visit to a hammam, a Turkish bath.  To be able to relax and get truly clean was the perfect end to a fantastic adventure, I really recommend visiting one at some point during your time in Turkey.  Also make sure to take some time and explore Istanbul! It’s a fantastic city with lots of history.

I would love to participate in another excavation in the future.  I loved everything about this dig and I would love to learn more about archaeology and excavations.  This trip was an amazing opportunity and I would love to be able to do something like this again.