And so ends Antiochia Field School 2014. For those who don’t know me, I have had my eyes set on a career in archaeology since Prof. Howe suggested it to me my freshman year at St. Olaf. However, I had no experience with archaeology whatsoever and, to be honest, I had no idea what to expect coming hear to Turkey and actually participating in an actual dig. Now, having spent an entire month doing real archaeology, I have gotten a real sense of how extensive a field it is. Not only do archaeologists have to deal with textual history but also with economics, religion, agriculture, geology, geography, linguistics, computer science, scuba diving, anatomy, chemistry, surveying, anthropology, and a host of other fields. Now, if I am serious about a career in archaeology, I have to find where my interests and skills fit best in this far reaching area of study. To do this I need to go on more digs in different places, explore the vast number of possibilities that await me in and outside of the Mediterranean world.

I would hate to give the impression that archaeology is a stuffy academic pursuit though, for that is exactly what it is not. The only books are the ones you are writing. The only walls are the ones that you are uncovering. Instead of learning how to study a textbook, I learned how to study a room where people actually lived. I could tell you, given the proper evidence, how many stories a building is, the relative chronology of a structure, the purpose of a particular space. I have begun to learn how to read the ruins, so to speak. I have also learned that archaeology is much more than what goes on in the dirt (although it is mostly dirt, or soil, if you will), it is about what goes on in us: the people who excavate the land and the people who live on the land. For those of you who haven’t heard, Antiochia is situated on the farm of a man named Rami (who was our guard and de facto supervisor) and his wife, Aysha (who cooked us delicious meals every day). The work we have been doing is so important to them that they invited us as their honored guests to take part in a village boy’s circumcision celebration. We got to eat, dance, and actually be a part of the village community. As my classmates will tell you, I threw myself wholeheartedly into the dancing (maybe even when I shouldn’t have…). I will never forget that night. Our work clearly means a lot to these people and I am honored to be doing them such a service.

Any person who thinks that history is just a thing written down in a textbook should grab their bags (don’t forget plenty of socks and sunscreen!) and sign up for next years adventure to Antiochia. If you are looking for an even broader view of Turkey, I highly recommend staying a few days beforehand in Istanbul. Taksim Lounge in the new city provides very cheap and comfortable accommodations and you can get to all the major sites pretty easily from there. If Turkey just does not sound that appealing but you would still like to go on an Archaeological dig, never fear! There are plenty of sites all over the US and the rest of the world that have your name on them. So come along, grab a trowel, and happy digging!