I had originally came on this field school to Antiochia Ad Cragum in order to see if archaeology would be something that I wanted to do as a career and for the rest of my life. But this project has been so much more than just that. From seeing sites like Perge and Anamurium, cities that have existed for thousands of years, to the local community of Güney inviting us to a circumcision festival which was not only fun but also incredibly complimentary to us as archaeologists and as witnesses to these people’s history. It was this connection to place and history and culture that really pulled me in as the project progressed and I wouldn’t trade the experiences I have had at Güney and Antiochia Ad Cragum for anything. I am not sure if classical archaeology is what I would like to continue to do but I am nearly 100 percent sure that I will continue to do archaeology, hopefully in China or in the Mediterranean Bronze Age. I have learned so much in this field school, from just how deep “20” centimeters is to how to accurately record finds and daily progress not only for ourselves but also for future archaeologists working on the Antiochia Ad Cragum Acropolis and how to photoscan a site and RTI coins, lessons and experiences that I can take to any site.

The first piece of advice I would give to anyone wanting to take this field school is just do it. It is such an amazing, eye-opening, and transforming experience, even if you don’t think that Archaeology is something you want to do. And most likely, you will never get a better opportunity to touch and make living history. The second piece if advice I would give is bring clothes that you don’t care about and a fair amount of them. You will sweat and you don’t want to be forced to wear the same sweaty, crusty clothes that you wore yesterday because the washing machine was being used, and the washing machine is always being used. But you also get used to a certain amount of dirt and sweat on your daily life.

When it gets down to the last day, I am not sure I want to leave Turkey. The people, food, weather, and water are all amazing and I can’t think of a better way to spend my summer or of a better place and team to have my first field school with.