The first week of excavation has ended. I have been working on the upper acropolis to clear the debris of rocks and roots away from the surface of the soil. Where all we could see three days ago was a lumpy hill covered in brush and large rocks, we can now see the beginnings of walls. Based on what the walls are composed of we think the acropolis underwent several stages of development ranging from the late Roman Republic to the early Byzantine. Even though it is still early days, we have already discovered several exciting things in the area that I have been working in. There have been a lot of pottery shards but they were most likely part of the wall so they have been disposed of. The bottoms of a couple of clay amphora jugs were found which is neat and I’m personally really excited because I found a loom weight. The loom weight is a clay circle about the size of my fist with a circle in the middle. It would have been used during weaving to keep the yarn tight. Different sized loom weights will make a weave tighter or looser. Next week I think we are going to start working in trenches so I will soon have a new home!