Welcome! The Quarry is an undergraduate literary and fine arts magazine that features creative work by the students of St. Olaf College! At 96 years old, we are proud to be one of the oldest student-run publications on campus. We welcome all St. Olaf students to send us their creative work for our full-color magazine during spring semester and a variety of zines throughout the year.
Submissions for our annual magazine will be reviewed by the editorial staff throughout the month of March. Notices will be sent in late March disclosing publication decisions. Our printed publication will be released and we will host a gallery in April.
- We accept works of poetry and prose in any genre, including fiction, creative nonfiction, and essays. For longer works, excerpts may be considered.
- Maximum of five literary submissions will be accepted per student. Files should be submitted as PDFs to firstname.lastname@example.org. When sending submissions, please include each piece as a separate file attachment. Please begin each file label with your last name, followed by the title of the piece, and then the number submission.
- Example: Fitzgerald_The Great Gatsby_3
- We accept works of visual art in all media — including photography, drawings, paintings, 3D, video — and other non-print media for our online publication and gallery show. Documentation sessions will be offered for all student artwork.
- Maximum of five artistic submissions will be accepted per student. Files should be submitted as High Resolution JPGs, flattened TIFFs, or PNGs to email@example.com. When sending submissions, please include each piece as a separate file attachment, and begin each file label with your last name, followed by the title of the piece, and then the number submission. Artwork dimensions should also be included with your submission.
- Example: VanGogh_The Starry Night_5
- We accept performance works and dance for showcasing in either our online publication or gallery show in April. Please submit a good quality video or link to a video of your work to be performed.
- Maximum of five artistic submissions will be accepted per student. Files should be submitted as .mp4 videos or high quality Vimeo/YouTube links to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Example: Miranda_Hamilton_2
Any questions regarding submission guidelines or procedures may be addressed to email@example.com.
If you have material that doesn’t quite fit these categories or are not selected for publication, please check out the Olaf Messenger, particularly the Variety section. The Mess publishes brief articles and poems written by St. Olaf students.