WU Ming-Yi, The Man with the Compound Eyes
  1. The best part about talking to Hafay was that she would never judge the sudden sadness that overcomes people after they’ve imbibed. She never got involved, but those long-lashed eyes of hers made you feel nobody could understand your private sorrow better than Hafay.
  2. loneliness
  3. millet
  4. Amis
  5. Dragonflies have green eyes, and I sometimes wonder whether the world looks green through dragonfly eyes.
  6. I saw someone standing in front of Ina. It was a man. That man was big and tall, and though I couldn’t see him clearly I felt he must be a young man, but he also seemed kind of middle-aged and youthful at the same time. He was just like a shadow, one moment big, the next moment small. I heard them, and they seemed to be talking about something. For a moment his eyes met mine, and those eyes were… how shall I put it? Ah, it’s hard to say. It was like a tiger, a butterfly, a tree and a cloud looking at you all at once. (p.96)
  7. Alice looked away to avoid awkwardness, only to find the window covered in moths, moths of all different colors, many of them with eyespots of different shapes and sizes on their wings. It was as if they were staring at something.
  8. She really needed someone to open the door for her.
  9. Forest Church
  10. “Later they’ll emerge from their cocoons and there’ll be swarms of butterflies flying wing above wing. Ah! It’s a moving sight to see.”
  11. a dwelling with windows on all four sides
  12. I’d imagine I was on a small, deserted island somewhere.

Panai, “Wandering” (song)

LIGELALE Awu, “Who Is Going to Wear My Beautiful Knit Dress”
  1. Amei / Amis
  2. “My Ina taught me this pattern.”
  3. it is the fate of the tribes, that indigenous parents have to send their children away to the society on the plains to get a good education, so they forget their mother tongue and ancestral culture