On Wednesday, Democracy and the Arts students, as well as community members, gathered via Zoom for a playback theater performance. When preparing for today’s class, I had not realized that we would be getting to see Verbal Gymnastics in action. It was a delightful surprise as all other performances this semester had to be canceled due to COVID-19 and our transition to online classes. After the main event, a few words that were tossed out include “inspiring,” “engaging,” and a feeling of being “seen.” I think this session was a fantastic way to end the month on an upbeat.

As a theater major, I had surprisingly never formally heard of playback theater. As a kid, I participated in improvisation classes, but most of what I engaged in was games and comedic skits. Playback theater is not more than a step away from traditional improv, but follows a much more personal route. In doing research, I read about the history of the style, but experiencing it firsthand reviled its cathartic value. Reenacting the audience’s stories without judgment or satirical motives deepens the actor-audience relationship and opens space for exploration. Telling a personal narrative is a venerable thing to do, and it is reasonable to be apprehensive, but it is through sharing that we see multiple perspectives and build compaction towards others.

Mr. Johnson prioritized the participants’ voices with the goal of making them feel accurately represented. For anyone, but especially marginalized individuals, being actively listened to and made the subject of a work of art can be an emotionally revitalizing venture. The pandemic has made many people feel cut off from the world and addressing specific incidences from this era, seemed to help alleviate the isolation.

Another valuable addition to the Zoom call was the inclusion of an ASL interpreter. We had previously talked about making the arts accessible and seeing accommodations being made, warmed my heart. No one should feel left out because society failed to recognize them. Having accessibility as a default rather than an exception should be the standard. St. Olaf struggles in this field because the majority of our buildings do not meet current ADA guidelines. The Theater Build, for example, is a mess of staircases, yet only one service elevator is not made available to the public. As parts of campus get remodeled/ constructed, these issues will improve, but in the meantime, St. Olaf focuses on other areas it can cater to its students. (More details can be found on St. Olaf’s DAC website.)

I know many were thrilled and amazed by the inclusion of improvised vocal music. As a former vocalist, I could never imagine making up whole interluded on a spot. It is difficult enough to create spoken word on the fly, but adding rhyming and musicality is an impressive feat.

The talent at Verbal Gymnastics is incredible and should not be overlooked. I hope they continue to provide accessible, rejuvenating, opportunities to connect people all across the nation.