Hello everyone! My name is Marcus Hauck and I am a sophomore studio art and math major from the very town we all go to school in. At St.Olaf, I am a member of the swim team as well as a few volunteer groups. I am the middle child of five, sharing that position with my two triplet sisters. I have an older brother and younger sister to complete the clan. My dad grew up in Northfield and is an alum of St.Olaf College as well, giving him the ultimate townie status. He is the men’s and women’s swim coach here. My mom is an art teacher at the local high school and is an artist herself. And because we wanted more chaos in our family, we have two adorable golden retrievers ages 2 and 10.

Juniper (left) and Haven (right)

I believe the reason I take any art course is the result of a deep passion for art-making from a young age. I’ve grown up emersed in art and am thrilled to continue to explore this passion as a college student. I enjoy art because I am a very hands-on person and it gets me out of my stationary desk. For that reason, I am a bit nervous that this class will not incorporate the physical engagement component that I look forward to in art classes. The title of the class is also a bit intimidating as I have hardly considered art in the context of democracy, so I will be approaching this class with very little background knowledge. Nevertheless, I am excited to broaden my relationship with art to one that involves more than just fabrication. Additionally, I understand the importance of strong writing skills, so I am looking forward to bolstering those in this class.

As evident by my choice of major, I am planning on going into the field of architecture. With that being said, I believe I can bring both creative and analytical skills to this class. My love for architecture stemmed from a greater fondness for building things. Along with taking art classes and camps growing up, I’ve come to enjoy woodworking as well as anything related to construction. My senior art project actually incorporated woodworking with tiled mosaics to create trivets, coasters, tabletops, and even a lazy susan. I am very excited to look into the built environment in arts and make connections to the democratic process of this country. Additionally, hearing from and speaking with government-affiliated art professionals will be an eye-opening experience.