While doing research for the introduction to the Smithsonian National Museum of American History, I was feeling skeptical about the institution. Other members of our class mentioned that they felt a similar way. I attribute this sentiment to ways in which American History has been communicated before, ways that I believe promote American imperialism by leaving unattended the controversies of the history of the United States. I entered the consultation with caution and, I must acknowledge, a little pessimism. However, I left with a strong feeling of hope and assurance that I can trust this museum. 

American History Museum

We were not even 10 minutes into the consultation when Krystal Klingenberg, the Music Curator,  acknowledged the complexities of her work, and of the role of the museum in communicating American History. She mentioned that the work the museum is doing right now, of actively addressing social issues, and including different voices, is not something that has always happened. In fact, they still have to deal with the backlash from some members of the audience because many believe that the changes they are doing come at the expense of “American values”. Krystal Klingenberg’s transparency on this topic demonstrates the commitment of the National Museum of American History to change their practices by revisiting and amending what they have done before. 

This is not to say that everything is perfect. I have not visited the museum myself, but as most people and institutions, there is always room for improvement. One of the things that called my attention the most was that Klingenberg pointed out the fact that many of the exhibitions we see are the product of work from years before. This shows us one of the challenges that could be considered a weakness of exhibitions in museums. They involve a great amount of work and preparation that it is really hard to make changes, or new exhibitions as new perspectives, or issues arise in society. 

Americans for Arts state that the traditions, history, and heritage that link us to our past and to each other are simultaneously crucial to our well-being and often ignored. Art strengthens the bridge to our past and carries traditions forward into the future.” This institution plays a big role in creating the bridge from the past to today, and to the future while making sure the bridge is real for everyone. The work the museum is now doing does a better job of creating this bridge for more communities by including more people in their work. Acknowledging different perspectives in the narration, and reflection of history is essential for a healthy community. 

I have known for a while that I would love to work in a museum, I am not exactly sure what I would like to do yet so I am learning about different options and career paths. Krystal Klingenberg gave us a valuable insight into the challenges of her field, but I was deeply inspired by the power in her work and the passion she conveys. She has taken topics that are important to her and her community and is doing amazing things in her job to amplify voices and raise awareness about them. I would love to do work like the one Klingenberg is doing.

When doing the introduction blog post, I mentioned I did not really feel connected to this institution, in part because I am not American so this history does not really pertain to me or my identity. I have always thought and still do, that most of my identity is on the receiving end of many of the things that make American history problematic. However, learning more about the museum and its exhibitions, I found that there were things that do resonate with me. Maybe not because it defined who I am or where I come from, but because there are people in the United States with whom I share part of my identity, that have also shaped American History. 

In conclusion, I loved learning about this institution and about Krystal Klingenberg’s work. I thought it was an engaging, informative, and inspiring consultation. I deeply appreciated leaving our meeting with such a strong sense of hope for what museums can do, and are doing, to make the world a little better every day.