CONTENT WARNING: The following video includes graphic description of death and bodily decomposition

In the Fall of 2019, in my Bible class, a student presented on the Migrant Caravan that was at the time walking from Central America to the United States. It was exactly what it should have been for a 10-minute presentation. But coming from El Salvador I could not sit quietly without mentioning how much more complex migration is, so I raised my hand and naively tried to mention everything I thought was missing in two minutes. At the end of class, my professor approached me and invited me to join Hostile Terrain 94. 

Since then, this project has been one of the most impactful things in my life. Many of you might have seen it on campus last semester. It is an art installation, composed of over 3,200 toe tags, each of which represents the life of a person who has passed away in the attempt of crossing the Sonoran Desert. I made a video with a reflection about this project, it is done in the form of a letter dedicated to the people the installation represents. 

This project relates to creative placemaking as it promotes enduring social change. The installation invites people to reflect on the consequences of migration policies and to fight against them. Its planning involved participation from multiple departments, student organizations, faculty, and staff members at St. Olaf. The wall has been moved around campus, it was in Buntrock Commons, Tomson, Reagents, and currently is located in Holland Hall. The ecommunity-based planning of this project has allowed it to cause a larger impact on campus. We were able to reach dozens of classes, student organizations, and fill the 3,200 tags with the help of hundreds of members of the St. Olaf community. It has been in exhibition for a few months now, and in multiple spots on campus, helping us reach a wider audience than what it would have in another setting like the Flaten Art Museum. 

I think this is a variation of creative placemaking as we see it in other spaces, but I hope you find it interesting. Thank you for joining me in reflecting on Hostile Terrain 94.