For my choose your own adventure post, I’ve decided to take a walk down memory lane and talk about the program that changed my life growing up in Woodbury, MN. Now there’s kind of a complicated backstory to our music and theater community program- but long story short, the community center that used to house all the community shows and camps was taken over by new authority who kicked out all original creators (which created a lot of turmoil and hurt within our community). But out of all this came two amazing new groups one of which was Aspire Music Academy.

Aspire Music Academy is a community group created by Lori Saeger, a prominent figure in the music scene in Woodbury. With her amazing talent and multiple music degrees from Florida State University, she created a “music school” which poses as a place for people of all ages to join as a community in the love for the arts.Theri belief is that “young performers benefit from exposure to outstanding music instruction and performing opportunities at an early age, which brings significant benefits to K-12 students and their families.  Instilling a life-long love of music and the performing arts enriches life, as well as teaching poise, discipline, and cooperation as a part of a group.”

I was lucky enough to be in the original Aspire show choir group in 2017 which was the beginning of the academy. Throughout the rest of my highschool career, Aspire was my home where I eventually grew to be an assistant counselor to the younger kids and dance captain for the older. I got to grow up alongside this new music organization and help with input as to how it could improve. This included things such as making an adult group, recording tracks in a studio, doing bigger productions in musical style, and helping support the scholarship program to make sure all members of the community are able to participate.

Aspire Music Academy has now grown from its original 3 groups to 8 groups plus a number of summer camps (which I am lucky enough to be assisting in this summer) and a new theater group called Open Door Community Theater which is considered its affiliate but is run by the same people.

I feel very lucky to know that I have maybe played a small role in creating a safe and fun community for people of all ages to enjoy the performing arts together. After all the drama that ensued with the last group, our community needed a new light and Aspire provided that for not only myself, but so many others in the community. For my own enjoyment (and to show, in a way, what the effects of a community music space can have on a person), I’ve created a photo collage of old photos from my time growing with Aspire.

Finally-I do want to acknowledge that I was very privileged to have a place like this where I could grow my musical talents, let alone be able to afford it, and I think it’s super important that spaces like this are available to kids and adults all over the country.