Hello! My name is Jimena Maida Colindres and I am a Junior majoring in Sociology/Anthropology and Art History with a concentration in Management Studies. I am from El Salvador and I also lived in The Netherlands for two years. A big part of my life has been centered around my very large family of eight siblings, out of which I am number seven. Some of my favorite things to do are cooking, watching movies, doing puzzles, and anything that has to do with animals, especially dogs. My past years at St. Olaf have been mostly dedicated to Hostile Terrain 94, but now that the project has reached its peak I am still not sure what I will be doing next. 

During my last two years of high school, I took a class called World Arts and Cultures. It was my favorite subject and the only one that felt like I was not in class. I decided to major in SoAn and Art History because the combination of these two majors encompass the issues I am passionate about. I am mostly interested in the circular relationships between arts and culture/society and how they are constantly influencing each other This is the reason why I am taking this class because I think it touches on these topics and will provide me with practical and theoretical experience on arts and culture. 

Museums and I have a complicated relationship. I love visiting museums, I think they are essential for the arts and for education and that they have a lot of potential to bring people together. However, museums have been problematic, some from their very origins in colonialism. With issues of repatriation of artifacts, representation of diverse artists, the history they tell, boards, curators, and so much more, museums are not yet a paradise. I think this class will help us learn more about these issues, and understand the complexity of museums and many other institutions with similar complications. 

Given my love for museums, I have been getting more involved with the Flaten Art Museum in the past year. I have been working as a Museum Attendant at the front desk, and for the installation of exhibitions since January 2021. I also work with the Collections Specialist and will start working in the Spring as Curator Assistant. Last Interim I also had the opportunity to intern for Canvas Presents, an organization that creates musical experiences for “curious minds”. I worked with them for an educational experience of a concert of lost music of the Holocaust. With these jobs, I have dipped my toes into the art world and I am so excited to learn more about this through the class. 

I am very excited to meet everyone that is joining our class for consultations. It is not an everyday thing to have the opportunity to meet people who are so deeply involved in the art world and know more about their experiences and opinions on difficult topics. I just cannot wait to listen to what they have to say, ask them questions, ask for advice, and learn more from them. What I am nervous about is having classes online. I am very grateful that I am able to take the class because it has been moved online, and that I can be home while doing so, but I do struggle with online learning so I am a little nervous about that. 

This is an overview of who I am and why I am taking this class, I hope to get to know you better and that we have a good start to 2022!