New public transit systems can be as intimidating for even the most seasoned of riders. You may wonder as you narrowly avoid being trampled through a fare gate by a busy local, “what rail line is the most versatile, the fastest, the most luxurious?”. Never worry, my fuel-efficient friend, I’m here to tell you all about DC Metro and get to what we all really want to know: which rail line is the best?

An image of a color-coded map of the DC Metro rail lines.

A color-coded map of DC Metro rail lines

In our two weeks here, I’ve had the tremendous pleasure of riding all six of DC’s train lines. The system overall is extremely impressive. As a public transit enthusiast (I write this while wearing a San Francisco Muni shirt), I am always excited to try out a new transit system. DC Metro has exceeded all of my highest hopes for transit. I have never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a train to arrive, and once they do they are fast, clean, and (nearly) foolproof. The accessibility features are the best I’ve ever seen. Every Metro station is wheelchair accessible, and every station displays all elevator outages throughout the system so riders can plan around them before arriving at a station with a broken elevator. A row of lights flashes when a train is approaching the platform, presumably to alert Deaf riders that their train is arriving. Although the signage and maps are a little sparse, and every station looks identical on arrival (seriously. identical.) the system overall is extremely reliable and easy to use.

Now that we’ve gotten the basics out of the way, let’s get to what you really came for, the battle of the lines.

6. Green Line:

I have only seen a green line train once, and it was not a memorable experience. I took it, it was fine. I forgot about it. Overall, 5/10. Ho hum.

5.  Silver Line:

The write smiles at the camera on a crowded metro train.

The author, in awe of being on the silver line on the way to the Folger Theater

The silver line is good at what it does, but is somewhat limited in its usefulness. It is one of three lines with stops in Maryland, Virginia, and DC, which gives it a distinct coolness factor. It is, above all else, an elusive line. I have seen it only twice in my time here, and the LED display on the trains as they approach is definitely blue and not silver, which may lead many a careless rider to mistake it for its easier to find cousin. What makes the line different from others is the anticipation. It took a full 10 days for me to see a silver line train. My heart rate accelerated noticeably when it arrived and we boarded. What can I say, it was love. But, I have to set my feelings aside, and there are very few stops on the silver line that are not also served by either the blue or orange lines, so it loses significant points for uniqueness. For most train rides in the center of the city, the only real reason to take a silver line train is because it’s what comes first. Finding a silver line train is like finding a $2 bill. It’s exciting. It’s fun. You’re not quite sure what to do with it. Overall, 6/10. Not bad, but not great either.

4. Yellow Line:

The yellow line is not sexy, but it’s functional. The yellow line’s distinguishing feature is that it intersects with each of the other train lines at at least one point. It is truly an unsung hero of the DC Metro. But, it will remain only kind of sung here. It just doesn’t come that often. A truly great train line is always there for you, and the yellow line isn’t. 7/10. Fantastic idea, but the execution needs work.

3. Red Line:

The red line is the middle child of the train lines. It serves an important function, but it’s a little forgettable. It comes often, and it goes to lots of useful places, but it’s not flashy. 8/10. Wonderful, but plain.

2. Orange Line: 

The orange line is fast, reliable, and takes you where you want to go. It gets points for going to Maryland, Virginia, and DC, and goes to most of the major tourist attractions. 9/10. No complaints.

1. Blue Line:

The blue line is the ultimate train line. It goes to all of the major tourist attractions, has a stop at Reagan airport, and is fast and useful throughout the city. It goes to Maryland, Virginia, and DC, and should be beloved by everyone. 10/10. Perfect.

Now you too can take DC Metro. Happy train riding!

Newer Older