I am Nakunda Mshana. I am a psychology major in my sophomore year. I am from a combination of different cultures and ethnic groups in East Africa but I live in Michigan when I am not in school. I am interested in different forms of Art, spirituality and culture. The common forms of 2D Art I would go with are drawing, and painting. Others are dance, poetry, comedy, knitting, philosophy and fabric design. I love all sorts of music and playing the guitar. The arts are a big part of me because I get a sense of creation in a god like manner of control over my pieces.

I am passionate about my continent and proud to be African. I love engaging in conversations about the wealth of Africa, the post colonial legacy and the responsibility of current leaders. I have seen the work of artists on issues concerning the government of different countries and it is an area I would like to grow in knowledge and perspective. Art is a strong means of communicating to a large group of people. To me, this reminds those who share the same belief that they are not alone. It also lets people with different opinion know that there is a lot that disagrees. I think this is an effective way of communication among the people for the people.
I love getting to know new people and learning new cultures and bits of different languages. In this class I bring a unique voice and I am hoping to learn more about the United States view of democracy. I am also very interested in seeing how art from the places I have lived compared to the work in DC. I hope to get to know you better!

Newer Older