Howdy all! My name is Marlee Baron and I’m a sophomore from St Paul, Minnesota. I plan on majoring in something however I do not know what that something will be, and I’m doing a concentration in family studies. Outside of school, I love the outdoors: I was a backpacking camp counselor this summer and I’m a big skier during the winter. 

To be completely honest, I’m not a very artsy/artistic person but it’s something I’ve always been interested in and curious about learning more! I’m really excited about this course because I’m interested in American politics and activism and I would love to learn more about connecting those interests to the arts. I chose to take this course because I wanted to expand my horizons and get out of my comfort zone. I’m leaning towards the Race and Ethnic studies major and I know Washington DC has a unique and interesting history with regards to race so I’m excited to be in DC and learn more about that history. I think the intersection of race and the arts will be something interesting to explore; including how people of color have been portrayed in art throughout history and the experiences of artists of color with regards to the government and public funding.

I think that my not having very much experience in the arts will give me a unique perspective because I think I’m coming into this experience with very few preconceived ideas. I’m coming in with an open mind and I’m very excited. Although I don’t have artistic experience to offer, I do have some things to offer the group. I love to travel and have a lot of experience navigating new places and trying things that are new to me. I also know that being in a new place means getting out of your comfort zone and making sure you get the most out of this experience and I am definitely ready to do that. 

Newer Older