Hello! I am Hannah Summers. I’m a sophomore from Spokane, Washtington. While I’m still technically undecided, I’m quickly running out of excuses not to be an English major. I’m also pre-med and considering a neuroscience concentration. On campus I sing in Cantorei and work for the Manitou Messenger as the Arts & Entertainment editor.

I took this class because I’ve always been interested in politics, and this seems like a particularly important time to learn how to turn interest into action. I also adored my art history class in high school, so I’m eager to get to look at lots more paintings. Wandering around an art museum easily makes my list of the 10 Best Ways to Spend an Afternoon. I’ve also loved DC ever since I came here on a school trip in middle school; in fact, I was so taken with the city that I set the Georgetown University seal as my phone wallpaper for several months afterward (no regrets though, Um! Ya! Ya!). The point is, I am very excited to have the chance to spend more time here studying two things I care deeply about. 

Last semester I read Elaine Scarry’s book On Beauty and Being Just for my theology class. Her main thesis is that being exposed to beautiful things inspires viewers to seek and value justice. I’m curious about the possible applications of her ideas, especially trying to see the extent to which art displayed in public spaces can not only reflect but instill the values of a society. 

Having to frequently explain to relatives what I’d be doing with myself for the next month over winter break got me thinking about the justification for studying the relationship between the arts and democracy. I don’t want to jump to any conclusions, or else I might as well just go home now, but I have a hunch that the ability of both art and the ideals of our political process to give people hope and meaning is an important part of the connection between the two. I think the best leaders (and doctors) are those that are in touch with what makes life meaningful, and understanding the role of things like art and democracy in people’s lives is at the core of answering those big questions (Ah ha! This course relates to my career goals after all!).

Newer Older