My name is Holly Beck, and I am a sophomore history and religion major at St. Olaf College. I am from the city of Davenport, Iowa, which is NOT in the middle of a cornfield (sadly, many people make this assumption about Iowans). My vocational interests include future careers in ministry, interfaith leadership, and religious justice. While religion is my primary focus, I am a HUGE history nerd. While I can typically be found studying in the Cage at St. Olaf, I also sing alto in the Chapel Choir, serve as the Community Events Coordinator for Delight Ministries, work in the History Department, and participate in the Student Inter-Religious Council at St. Olaf. 

An individual smiles to the side as she hugs a small dog.

Hi! Here I am with my sweet Pomeranian, Magnum P.I. (named after the Tom Selleck character from the 80’s TV show!)

I believe that my background in public history (my history major emphasis!) and museum work (I work at the Figge Art Museum in Davenport!) allows me to bring a unique perspective on the inner-workings of artistic and political practice within our nation’s capital. 

I was drawn to this program after taking Professor Epstein’s “Introduction to Musicology” course last spring. While in this class, I found interest in the challenging questions of ethics and values related to the arts. When Professor Epstein announced his plan for “Democracy and the Arts in Washington D.C.,” it was evident that this program would be directly engaging with these types of difficult questions relating to the arts. 

This trip is my first time visiting the northeast and Washington D.C., so I am very excited to explore all of the iconic museums, monuments, and sites! D.C. residents and my fellow classmates may catch me recreating my favorite scenes from National Treasure, Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian, and Spider-Man: Homecoming while exploring the city! I am hoping to avoid getting lost or taking the wrong metro train, so hopefully Google Maps and my peers will help me stay on track! 

The Library of Congress reading room with a large domed ceiling and various levels of bookshelves.

Definitely considering a search for the President’s Book of Secrets in the Library of Congress’ iconic Reading Room (thanks Nic Cage)

Here’s to the rest of this crazy month!

Newer Older