Hello! My name is Emmie Head (for those of you from St. Olaf, I am NOT related to Joshua). I am a second-year student at St. Olaf studying music. At school, I play the flute and am learning the piano. I also actively write program notes for the Norseman Band and have worked on the program notes for Christmas Fest. I am working on a BA degree in music and will likely be adding an emphasis in musicology after an inspirational experience in courses last semester. Recently, I have been toying with the idea of a second major in philosophy but the jury is still out. I am currently studying with the hopes of pursuing musicology at the graduate level.

First, let me share a few other fun things about me. I have a twin sister who is one minute older than me. She is also a musician and before college, we hadn’t been apart from each other for more than a week. And, before you ask, no! We are not identical. I am from the greater Seattle area and have lived there all my life. I am in love with dogs. In my opinion (a biased one at that), my two miniature dachshunds are the best dogs a person could ask for. I also have two rabbits aptly named Chubbles and Frosty the Snowman.  I am familiar with some basic Greek of the ancient and modern variety, Spanish, and have most recently began learning French. In my spare time, when I am not studying, I love baking, reading, playing jazz music with close friends from high school, and sleeping.

Two small dogs sit on the edge of a couch.On the left, Mr. Peabody. On the right, Dobby. 

I have been to DC once before, mainly to tour colleges that my twin sister was looking at, and loved every second. I look forward  to the next (approximately) 2,073,600 seconds of education, exploration and excitement. Learning is exhilarating. Our class has the opportunity to learn in one of the most abundant and diverse cultural climates in the country. The political discourse of the year 2020 started off with a big bang! This tense political climate along with the fact that 2020 is an election year should highlight opinions and opportunities that are unique and informative. The social environment in DC will hopefully culminate in a once-in-a-lifetime experience we can share with each other.

I chose to take this class for several reasons, some of which I have already presented. I hope to experience and expose myself to different career opportunities in a variety of artistic backgrounds. I look forward to learning alongside some friends who I have come on the trip with and hopefully leaving with a few more. I have a decent amount of background researching arts education and funding because of my high school senior project. I hope that I can bring this background to the class as well as develop my knowledge and formulate new opinions. I look forward to getting to know everyone and am looking forward to making the most out of this experience…. and eating some delicious food along the way!

Newer Older