Flashback to Wellington by Megan K.

Hey there, Meg here! If I’m being completely honest, quarantine has really not been too awful. I actually love waking up to my dogs jumping on me, working with my entire family on the most difficult puzzle I have ever done (80% of the pieces were the same shade of green), and getting to know Adriene (the woman from the youtube channel, Yoga with Adriene) much better. We are currently on week 4 of social distancing and isolation, but the memories of New Zealand and Australia are still extremely fresh in my mind. Everyday I think about the unique New Zealand trees, Burger Fuel (even though I never tried it), the Clocks of the city of Melbourne, the beach at Bimbi Park, Giapo’s ice cream… The list goes on and on. While coming home early was a big bummer, I feel so lucky to have experienced so many incredible places with such unforgettable and amazing people! 

One place that was a big highlight for me was the urban ecosanctuary called Zealandia. We visited Zealandia in the beginning of week 3 of our trip while we were in Wellington, New Zealand. I remember being incredibly shocked when we arrived because it is so huge! The ecosanctuary is over 500 acres big and is fully enclosed by a 5.3 mile long fence that keeps introduced mammalian predators from entering. I just couldn’t believe that a 5 minute cable car ride and a quick van drive took us from the heart of the city to this beautiful space for endangered species to recover and for nature to thrive. 

Group photo at Zealandia Ecosanctuary
Our wonderful guide, Susie, taking a group photo of some of us at Zealandia Ecosanctuary

Not only is Zealandia providing a place to restore Wellington’s pre-human ecosystems, but it is allowing scientists to conduct research to learn more about many of the fascinating species of New Zealand. One of our guides was doing research on a very interesting parrot called the kākā. She spent hours upon hours observing the kākā at the many feeding stations placed throughout the ecosanctuary. During her time of observation, she mastered her kākā call and noticed their high intelligence, which they use for mischief. She told us that many people have found kākās using their beaks to tear off house siding! We saw many kākā birds as well as a beautiful bright green parakeet called the Kākāriki, and a unique, chicken-sized bird called the Takahē, plus many others.

A close up shot of a Kākā bird
A Kākā bird nibbling at its feet

This ecosanctuary was the perfect escape from the bustling city. I learned so much in one day! Reflecting on all that we did in New Zealand and Australia has truly helped me to understand the importance of learning through experience. We got the chance to speak with specialists and professionals about so many interesting topics, then actually go out to see, touch, and experience what can only be seen on a screen or in a book back at home. I have learned that getting outside and learning through experience is incredibly effective and important.

– Meg