Music Monday: Den Svenska Björnstammen

Here in Stockholm, it’s starting to get a little cooler which unfortunately means that people are starting to get sick. I am now in this category of sick people, apparently going dancing two nights in a row can have consequences to your health. Did I learn my lesson? Probably not… But, a positive effect of that is finding out about this band!

Some friends and I went to a night club and the theme for the night was “Party like its 2007-2011.” The oddly specific time period and the fact that it was September 21st, drew us in because we needed a night to remember. A song started playing and I took a minute to use my handy dandy phone to Shazam it, turned out it was Trumma Trumma by the band Den Svenska Björnstammen.

About the Band

The band’s name, Den Svenska Björnstammen can loosely be translated to, The Swedish Bear Tribe, I think… The band is made up of 7 members: Dan Brännvall, Mattias Göransson, Kim Dahlberg, Ambjörn Göransson, Klas Isaksson, Petter Frisendahl and Åke Olofsson. Their breakthrough came in 2011 with the release of their song “Vart Jag Mig I Världen Vänder,” which reached number 1 on the Swedish Top Hits chart.

Their Sound

Their sound can be described as a mix of techno or electronic with pop. There are some slight hints of Indie rock as well, depending on what song you’re listening to. With their range of different styles on their several albums, it’s easy for anyone to find something they like, whether you like casual listening or dancing. If you’re interested in the sound and content of their lyrics on their new album Iskanten, check out this post! (Will need to translate from Swedish)

Iskanten (The ice edge) off their newest album “Iskanten” released earlier this year in May.
Fun Facts:

With the debut of their first album, “Ett fel närmare rätt,” in 2012, they released a 30-minute documentary containing many of their songs. It received mixed reviews from many music critics, but this trend of film type music video has been taken up by many artists within the past few years.

Their newest album “Iskanten” was released on what I think is a wooden box? Supposedly the only way to win it was to play and win a game they created. Shout out to their creativity!

Spotify