Music Monday: Veronica Maggio

This weeks artist is often referred to the Queen of Pop, if you don’t know already know, it’s Veronica Maggio! The best way to blend in like a local in Sweden is to be singing any of her songs, just not out loud on the t-bana because they will think you’re crazy…

I actually already knew this artist but rediscovered her while I’ve been here. A few years ago I made a playlist with Scandinavian artists to help me with my listening skills to help me learn Norwegian and she was on the playlist, so when I heard her song at an event I surprised myself that I knew it.

Veronica Maggio @ Stadion, Stockholm, 2016-08-13 Foto: Sofia Blomgren/Rockfoto

About the Artist

Veronica Maggio is a Swedish singer and songwriter from the city of Uppsala (which is only like 45 miles from Stockholm). One of her many claims to fame was that she helped write the 2013 hit “Hey Brother” for Avicii. Shes won several Swedish music awards including the 2007 “Årets Nykomling” (Newcomer of the year) at the Grammisgalan and later in 2012 won “Pop of the Year” along with many other awards.

Her Sound

Despite her songs being in Swedish the melodic lyrics easily get stuck in your head. Her sound ranges from an energetic unapologetic pop beat to a sweet heartfelt ballad. Much of her songwriting is based on a “write what you see” perspective and often contains lyrics regarding every life such as restlessness, parties and hangovers and relationships. If you need a new song to dance in front of the mirror to, I’m sure you could find a favorite within Veronica’s discography. Jeg kommer (translates to: I’m coming) has been one of my favorites lately!

Spotify